Our clients are often asking us for delicious, healthy snack ideas. We are always discussing the importance of finding snacks that are nutritious, taste good and support our hormones all at the same time!
These energy balls are the ultimate snack for so many reasons. They have a great source of protein, fibre, and healthy fats. This combination works to stabilise our blood sugar levels, so we have a sustained release of energy rather than a huge rise and fall like so many other snack options. They are also packed full of raw ingredients, so you know there's no additives, flavourings, or nasties!
Energy balls are ideal for making at the start of the week and keeping in your freezer for when you need an afternoon snack or when you are on the go and need a healthy snack. They are also so quick and easy to make and should be ready in under 10 minutes. Perfect for those busy mummas!
Some of the key ingredients
Chia Seeds: packed full of protein and actually contain some iron. Chia seeds are high in omega 3 which is essential for healthy hair, skin and nails, reducing inflammation and protecting the heart. Chia seeds are also great to keep the digestive system healthy.
Cacao: often something I recommend to my patients to max out on magnesium and minerals.
Gluten-free oats: A great source of fibre, which makes your protein balls more filling. Also helps to keep your bowels regular and is good for gut health and digestion.
Nut butter: Nut butters are packed with protein that keeps your body sustained for hours.
- 1 cup of gluten-free oats
- ¾ cup of nut butter (almond, peanut hemp etc)
- ½ cup of chia seeds
- ¼ cup of pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- Shredded coconut to coat energy balls
- Optional addition: 1 cup of Nuzest Clean Lean Vanilla Protein Powder
- Add all ingredients except the shredded coconut to a high-speed food processor. Mix everything until everything is nicely mixed. (Add small amounts of water if you need more liquid to mix)
- To shape the power balls, simply scoop out a tablespoon of mixture at a time and roll into a ball with your hands.
- Cover a chopping board or flat surface with shredded coconut and roll the balls into coconut to coat the outside.
- Place all the balls on a plate so they aren’t touching each other. Put in the freezer for an hour to set. Once they have set, transfer them to an airtight container and keep them in the fridge or freezer.