Wondering what's for dinner? Try this mouthwatering Mexican Chicken Lettuce Cups!
Flavourful and festive, this recipe is a tantalising twist on traditional taco nights. It's a quick and satisfying dinner option that doesn't compromise on taste. Surprise your loved ones with this quick, satisfying and shareable meal that promises a delightful blend of spice and crunch!
Why we love this recipe:
Lean Protein Boost:
The chicken breast in this recipe serves as a lean source of protein, essential for muscle development and repair. Protein also helps in maintaining a feeling of fullness, making it an excellent choice for those looking to manage weight or build and maintain muscle mass.
Nutrient-Rich Veggie Goodness:
The inclusion of a variety of vegetables such as butter lettuce, capsicum, red onion and garlic not only adds vibrant colours and textures but also provides a spectrum of essential nutrients. These veggies contribute dietary fiber, vitamins and antioxidants, promoting overall health, supporting the immune system and aiding digestion.
Avocado, featured in the topping, introduces heart-healthy mono-unsaturated fats. These fats have been associated with lowering bad cholesterol levels and reducing the risk of heart disease. The addition of avocado not only enhances the creamy texture but also contributes to a well-balanced and heart-conscious meal.
- 1 chicken breast
- Taco seasoning (paprika, garlic & onion powder, chilli powder, lime, salt, pepper, cumin)
- 1 head of butter lettuce - washed and pulled apart
- 1 can black beans - drained & rinsed
- 1 capsicum - diced
- 1/2 red onion - diced
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- Dairy-free or Greek yoghurt w/lime & seasoning
- Avocado - sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Start by dicing your chicken into 2cm squares
- In a pan on medium heat add 1 Tbsp of EVOO, and when heated add your chicken, cook for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl add in all your seasoning and mix, save 1 Tbsp and put to the side, add the rest of the seasoning to your chicken - cook until completely cooked through (about 10-12 minutes)
- Whilst the chicken is cooking prep the rest of your ingredients.
- To a large bowl add black beans, red onion, garlic, and season with salt, pepper, and half lime juice.
- In a smaller bowl add in your yoghurt, the rest of the seasoning & lime juice.
- Once the chicken is cooked start to plate up by adding your lettuce cups to a plate, add the chicken, and top with the bean mixture, and avocado. Drizzle over yoghurt mixture & enjoy!