As spring has now sprung, you might be on the hunt for some healthy and fresh recipes! This salmon pesto pasta is bright, full of flavour and always a crowd winner. It takes less than 30 minutes to come together, making it the perfect lunch or midweek dinner. Not only is this recipe well balanced and nutrient rich, it is also packed full of hormone balancing ingredients to help optimise your fertility!
Salmon is such a great source of protein and healthy fats. Salmon helps to lower inflammation and promote optimal hormonal balance. It is always recommended to opt for wild-caught salmon if possible to obtain the highest nutrient density profile as farmed fish are fed all sorts of chemicals, antibiotics and unnatural foods.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Not only is olive oil rich in healthy fats that support hormonal balance, it is also rich in antioxidants and Vitamin E which have been linked to improved egg health and uterine lining thickness.
Pine nuts are also high in Vitamin E and the amino acid, arginine. Studies have linked these nutrients to improved implantation and increasing the thickness of the uterine lining.
- 2 cups basil
- optional ¼ cup rocket
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (can swap for cashews, pistachios, walnuts etc.)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- cracked black pepper
- ½ cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2-4 wild-caught salmon fillets
- 1 packet of Buckwheat or gluten-free pasta
- 1-2 cups fresh rocket, organic cherry tomatoes, or your choice of roasted vegetables such as broccoli or asparagus
- Handul of full-fat goat or feta cheese
- Sea salt + pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese to taste (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200C, line a pan with baking paper for the salmon and start boiling a large pot of water on the stove for the pasta.
- Make your pesto by adding all ingredients to a food processor or Nutri bullet and mixing until well-combined (the texture should still be slightly chunky).
- Cover each salmon fillet with a spoonful of pesto and optional salt, pepper, olive oil or grass-fed ghee. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- While salmon is baking, add pasta to the large pot of boiling water and cook according to instructions.
- Assemble your toppings or add-in’s (rocket, tomatoes, veggies, etc.).
- Once pasta and salmon are done cooking, set salmon briefly aside and toss pasta together with the remaining pesto, optional add-in’s and salt, pepper and olive oil to test.
- Dish onto individual plates/bowls and serve with the baked salmon filet on top.